Cosmetic Tooth Fillings in Manhattan, NYC
Cosmetic fillings are more than just attractive. They are environmentally non-toxic because they use no mercury.
A cosmetic filling (known as composite filling) is a tooth-colored substance used to repair a tooth that is decayed, cracked, or has a fracture. The affected portion of the tooth will be removed and then filled with a composite filling. The highly trained dentists at Manhattan Dental Arts have extensive experience using cosmetic tooth fillings to transform smiles. Call (212) 247-2330 to schedule an appointment at our office on the Upper West Side today!
What are the Reasons for Getting a Composite Filling?
There are multiple reasons to use composite fillings including:
- Tooth decay
- Desire to replace silver amalgam fillings
- Fix a chipped, cracked or broken tooth
- Close space between teeth
- Desire to maintain a white, beautiful smile
What Are Composite Fillings
A composite filling is tooth-colored, allowing your dentist to match the color of your existing teeth. After tooth decay is removed and cleaned, the tooth-colored material is layered into the tooth. Each layer is hardened or cured with highly intense visible light, and the final surface is shaped and polished to match the tooth. The final restoration is virtually invisible.
Often it is advantageous to whiten all teeth before treatment so that the new restoration color matches the desired whiter, brighter smile.
- Composite fillings are more attractive.
- Environmentally non-toxic because they use no mercury.
- Stronger because they bond directly to the surface of the tooth.
- Help protect the tooth from fracturing because they don’t require the severe “undercut” (removal of healthy tooth structure) of a mercury filling.
- The initial investment in a composite filling is higher than that for a silver filling. This is due to the fact that the composite material is more expensive and the restoration is more difficult and time consuming to place. However, this initial higher investment is offset in the long run by the health benefits and reduced likelihood of restoring potentially fractured teeth.
- Composite fillings are not permanent and may someday have to be replaced. However, they are very durable and will last many years.
Inlays/onlays are sometimes good alternatives to composite fillings, offering excellent long term durability. In cases of extensive decay, inlays/onlays or crowns are the only alternative.
What Should I Expect?
While the tooth is numb, the dentist will remove decay as needed. For added protection, if the decay is near the tooth nerve a special medication will be applied. Space will then be cleaned and carefully prepared before the new filling is placed. The composite filling will then be placed and polished, restoring your tooth to its original shape and function.
It is common to experience some sensitivity to hot and cold, however, this will subside shortly after your tooth gets used to the new filling.
Looking to schedule a consultation for a filling on the Upper West Side of NYC? Call Manhattan Dental Arts at (212) 247-2330 to schedule your appointment today